June 2009 TerraGenome workshop
In conjunction with BAGECO-10 meeting in Uppsala, Sweden (June 15-19, 2009)
TerraGenome Workshop Date: June 14-15, 2009.
Agenda June 14, 2009:
8:00 Welcome (Pascal Simonet)
8:30 – 10:00
Short overviews (15 min. + 5 min. discussion) of on-going soil metagenomics projects (accomplishments, goals and challenges)
• Soil metagenomics – Rothamsted, UK (Penny Hirsch)
• Metasoil update (Tim Vogel)
• Grand challenges –US perspective (James Tiedje)
• Soil metagenomics – Puerto Rico (Terry Hazen)
10:30-11.30 (10 min. contributed presentations and 5 min. discussions)
• Soil metagenomics – Australia (Pauline Mele)
• Soil metagenomics – Japan (Yusuke Unno)
• Soil metagenomics – Argentina (Luis Wall)
• Soil metagenomics and scale (George Kowalchuk)
11.30-12.00 General discussion and summary (Mark Bailey and Janet Jansson)
13:00 – 13.30
Legal aspects (Tom Dedeurwaerdere)
Metadata needs & update (James Tiedje)
Metagenomic sequencing and bioinformatics update (15 min. each) Chris Detter, Patrick Chain, Jeroen Raes, Folker Meyer
Committee reports (25 min. + 5 min. discussion)
• Research committee report (Eric Triplett)
• Communications committee report (Tim Vogel)
Small group discussions: From Rothamsted onwards
• Utilization of the Rothamsted data for other sites and other Rothamsted soil experiments
• Grand Challenges and how to meet them
Large group summary and discussion
(Discussion leaders: Mark Bailey and Janet Jansson)
Agenda June 15, 2009:
Key issues for soil metagenomics (20 min. each + 10 min. discussion) Joe Zhou, Vigdis Torsvik, Christoph Tebbe,
• Gradients (pH, nutrients, etc.)
• Scale (time and space)
• Change and impacts (climate, anthropogenic, etc.)
• Biogeography (national and global) – comparison to Global Ocean Survey
Key issues continued (20 min. each + 10 min. discussion) Laurent Phillipot, Konny Smalla, contributed)
11:30-12:00 Group discussion: Collaboration potential
o Data storage
o Data sharing
o Shared samples
12.30 -13.30 (Lunch)
13.30-15.00 Free discussion period
The workshop will be held in Room L (Sal L in Swedish) in the “Undervisningshuset” on the Ultuna Campus of the Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences (SLU). Please see the attached map of the campus that shows the location of the Undervisningshuset.
Travel information from the airport (Arlanda International Airport) can be found on the BAGECO-10 website: http://www-conference.slu.se/bageco/ Additional general information is also on the BAGECO-10 website.
Note that the train from the airport stops in Central Uppsala. It is necessary to take a bus from the train station to the campus where the meeting is located. (see bus information detailed below). Alternatively you can take a taxi directly from your hotel or from the airport to the meeting site.
Registration (including a payment of 600 Swedish crowns (SEK) to pay for the conference room and lunch costs) and hotel booking should also be done through the BAGECO-10 website (see above).
NOTE: The registration deadline is June 6, 2009.